The Northwest Film Center and the Portland Art Museum present The Painter and the Thief. Opens [Online] Friday, May 22.
Desperate for answers about the theft of her two paintings, a Czech artist seeks out and befriends the career criminal who stole them. After inviting her thief to sit for a portrait, the two form an improbable relationship and an inextricable bond that will forever link these lonely souls.
2020 Sundance Film Festival – World Cinema Documentary Special Jury Award for Creative Storytelling
Virtual ticket sales will be unavailable after JUNE 28, 2020.
Your $3.99 ticket will directly support both NWFC and PAM and we encourage all of our members, staff, and supporters to join us—and spread the word.
At a time when the bulk of cinemas are expected to remain shuttered due to the coronavirus pandemic, our plan is to continue bringing new films to the PAM and NWFC audiences that allow us to follow social distancing rules.
We are proud to partner with NEON, the film production and distribution company that released Oscar winners such as Parasite and I, Tonya, on this innovative strategy to bring The Painter and the Thief to our audiences during COVID-19.
We are excited to offer this film at an affordable price because of the economic hardship that Americans are facing during the pandemic.
The Painter and the Thief
Directed by Benjamin Ree
2020 Sundance Film Festival Winner
The World Cinema Documentary Special Jury Prize for Creative Storytelling
115 min | United States | Documentary | 2020
The Northwest Film Center and the Portland Art Museum have partnered with Academy Award-winning studio NEON to present The Painter and the Thief.
The proceeds from each ticket purchased will help support us.
Please see brief instructions on how to watch the film at home, below, and thank you so much for your support. Please enjoy The Painter and the Thief!
Each ticket will be $3.99 and once you have purchased your ticket, you will have 72 hours to watch the film. It launches May 22.
How to watch:
- Click our special link to visit NEON’s virtual cinema platform, where your one-time purchase of $3.99 will give you access to your virtual ticket to view the film.
- To ensure that you are able to pause and revisit the film within your rental period, you will be required to create a free Vimeo account.
- After you have created an account and entered your payment information, your rental period will start immediately and last for 72 hours. You can view the film via the link in the receipt sent to your email, or simply click “Watch Film” when the confirmation page appears directly after purchase.
- You will be able to easily watch the film at any time within this period on any of the following platforms:
- SMART TV (using the browser on your Apple TV, Android TV, Fire TV, Roku or Chromecast)
- MOBILE DEVICE (iPhone, iPad, Android)
- COMPUTER (by clicking on the link in your email receipt)
- Need help? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Does the film have captions?
Yes. Captioning is an available feature on our films.
I didn’t get a chance to watch the movie in time. Can I get a new link or a refund?
If the rental period is expired, we unfortunately are unable to provide a refund. If you would still like to see the film, please repurchase for a new rental period. If you need a refund for another reason, please contact email@example.com to request one.
Why do I need to create a Vimeo account to watch a film?NEON’s Virtual Cinema is supported by Vimeo. Creating an account allows you to pause and revisit the film anytime within 72 hours of your purchase, and helps prevent potential piracy.
This is a Vimeo service. How does this benefit my favorite theatre?
Revenue from your purchase is split evenly between NEON and the exhibitor, similar to a traditional box office split. The purchase link you choose will alert us which venue you wish to support with your virtual ticket.
Why isn’t my favorite local business on the list?
NEON is currently expanding our list of Cinema Everywhere partners. We encourage you to check back soon as we continue to add new participating venues! If you are a local business interested in participating, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Is my payment secure?
Our platform uses Stripe to process payments. Stripe has been audited by a PCI-certified auditor and is certified to PCI Service Provider Level 1. This is the most stringent level of certification available in the payments industry.